Friday, April 26, 2013

Unreality Dating

I've been watching Ready for Love which, sadly, has ALREADY been cancelled. So much for all the time and effort (and money) spent in producing and making it if a network doesn't want to give it time to find an audience. However, I'm glad that they are still going to release one a week online until the episodes are all aired. I would like to know who the guys end up picking. I don't hold out much hope that they'll find true love, though. There are many dating shows out there and they all have horrible track records for actual marriage. Survivor seems to have had more marriages than The Bachelor.

I have a theory. Yes, how could I not? There seems to be something primal in a man's nature that screams for competition. When a guy feels like he has won the love of a woman, he is more likely to stay with his proverbial prize. This is why guys like the girls that are hard to get. When we make it too easy, apparently we aren't seen as desirable, no matter how perfect we are for each other. That is the part that sucks. You can be absolutely wonderful, but if no one is dating you, rarely does someone see you as dateable. Silly. But I have known girls who announce they are moving or engaged or leaving the country for almost two years and guys come pouring out of the woodwork to woo said woman. Huh? So, the otherwise taken girl is suddenly popular, while all of the available girls are chopped liver.

You know, pâté is made of chopped liver and it's expensive and I guess a delicacy. So all those available girls are special treats and for some reason the guys are ignoring their labels. Okay, that was a forced metaphor. But I hope you get my drift.

I think The Bachelorette is more successful as a dating show. They should all be like that where several men compete for the heart of one woman. With the way the male brain works, it seems like it would be a more successful outcome.

At the singles groups at church, where there are more girls than guys, it's always like The Bachelor when lots of girls compete with each other, all hoping for one of the few guys to like them. You know, since the guy gets to choose who he wants, it's rather pointless to claim you saw him first. He doesn't have to like you just because you're a victim of happenstance. And if you're all feeding him and macking on him and boosting his ego, does he ever have to choose just one? He may be having the time of his life and doesn't want it to end. I think all the single girls should band together and make the guys work to impress them. It's how it works in nature. Those animals are doing everything they can to impress the ladies in the hopes that one of them will agree to mate.

I personally would love for a guy to fall all over himself in order to win my heart. As long as he's not creepy. I used to have a list of what I wanted in a guy, but it's slowly gotten smaller and smaller. So, now I'm not looking for things like a great sense of humor, likes dogs, or has good earning potential. I just want a guy crazy enough to take me on while sane enough for me to want.

There's a church-related singles conference in my area next month. I could go and mingle with people who come from all over, but I don't enjoy those events anymore. Usually they have inspirational classes (which some used to be more about dating and/or scriptures), but now they're about earthquake safety and finance. Um, what? And since going to the dances kills my ego when no guys ask me to boogie on the dance floor, I'm going to skip the entire drama/torture. I might go if they had classes like For Women Only: Stop Chasing the Guys, For Men Only: How to Be a Man and Choose Already, How to Tell if Your Dating Standards are Impossibly High, If She Doesn't Like You Then Move On To Someone Else, and If He Doesn't Like You Then He's Not Worth It. Those are probably the classes that the older singles should be getting. I've also come to the conclusion that sitting in classrooms does not help us meet and get to know each other, neither does a dark room with loud music.

I'm making it harder for men to meet me, but that's okay. Isn't playing hard to get what I'm supposed to be doing? Except when I make myself so scarce that they don't realize I exist...?

No comments:

Post a Comment