Thursday, February 28, 2013

Compromise = Nobody wins OR loses

There is a joke about a husband and wife at a party. During a conversation with another couple the wife states that when she and her husband disagree and she gets her way it's a compromise. "What happens if I get my way?" asked the husband. She looks at him and says "It's a miracle."

Then we can reference The Office (American version) and talk about the Win-Win-Win. I don't know how Dunder Mifflin can really explain in their HR handbook about three wins, but it's in an episode. Now I feel like I should re-watch it.

Compromise does not actually mean that someone wins and someone loses. What it's supposed to mean is that both sides/parties give in a little bit and give up a little bit so they meet somewhere in the middle. For example: a couple wants to see a movie - the boy wants to see the latest shoot-em-up and the girl wants to see something romantic. How do they solve it? Well, if the boy convinces his date to see his movie, the compromise would be that she gets to choose the next movie they see together. The same goes if the girl convinces the boy to see the sappy movie, he gets the next choice. Another way to compromise is if they decide on a third movie that neither would mind seeing. What is NOT compromising is when one person always gets to choose to the detriment of the other.

We US citizens seem bent on stubbornness and pride and that it's "my way or the highway." I admit I'm stubborn, but I really don't like fighting. I like people and darn it, I want them to like me back. It doesn't always work out that way, but at least I try. There are many divisive issues out there. There's a reason why they say to avoid the following topics at parties: religion, politics, and ... I forget the third. I'll say the third is your health, because who wants to hear about that? I talk more about my health than I should, but I would avoid it at all costs at a party. It's a downer. And some people go into gross details. Also, don't talk about how fabulous your family/kids/job/whatever is soooooo much better than everyone else's. No one will like you anymore and good luck getting personal invitations in the future.

There are some hot-button items out there that are making people really mad. One is gun control. Many people are either for or against. And they can get loud about their passionate feelings on it. This is how I feel: passing more laws to limit guns will not affect criminals one bit. They're already breaking the law and you're just adding more laws they can ignore. We have plenty of laws about guns and we should follow/enforce them before adding more.

To me, controlling guns isn't the issue. The REAL issue is that we have more psycho- and sociopaths in our society than we used to. This is what happens when as a society we're so interested in our own pleasures that we don't care about others. So, goons with guns are a symptom of poor behavior and lack of caring for others. You could say the same for ignoring traffic lights, graffiti, shoplifting, embezzlement, prostitution, drug abuse, abuse in general, etc. Of those who break the law, how many of them have "good" intentions? Identity theft isn't done for "the greater good." It's purely for easy personal gain without the hard work. Funnily enough, if the people doing the sophisticated thieving would put their energy into being employed they wouldn't need to steal from other people--people they usually don't know...so why should they care that they're ruining someone else's life?

Because you should! You should always weigh your actions against how it could affect others. Your victims are family to someone. And as you're indirectly related to all humans, we're all your family. How would you like it if someone stole your grandmother's money? Well, if *you* stole your grandmother's money, then you're that sociopath I mentioned earlier.

Here's what I hope for my nation: that we can compromise. That both major parties in Congress and the Senate can work together on a solution that will satisfy some of the concerns for both, but neither side should get everything they want. They should meet in the middle!!!!! What I really hope is that they can work on getting guns out of criminals' hands and not out of the general population. It is really hard to limit something once it's out there, no matter how seemingly right or wrong. You know what would be even better: working on a way so less people in our country grow up to be career criminals. Why aren't we working on that? Wouldn't that benefit everyone and fix most of the issues? Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment