Friday, September 6, 2013

Somethings and Nothings

So, a few somethings have happened since I wrote last, but also a bunch of nothings. I went to a family reunion and spent time with all of my siblings, their spouses, their children, and our parents. We went to a beach, which was great! I only wish I'd had more energy to go more than the one time. I also wasn't able to participate in the "talking until all hours of the morning" thing we usually do whenever we get together. Many of us live faaaaaaar away from each other, so we don't see each other all that often. And it's fun chatting until 2 a.m., until you're super grumpy the next day (or just listless) and then you have a nap so you can stay up late again. I just felt tired the entire time and limited what I was doing. I was amazed at my sisters' ability to go, go, go.

All in all, though, I had a fabulous time. I hope we can do it again in the next couple of years!

It didn't feel like I was gone from work all that long, but oh the pile of work that awaited me when I got back. It's amazing, don't you think, that if people read your out-of-office email response that they can be patient when you're gone. But as soon as you get back...it doesn't matter how many emails you have to go through, people always assume that you've read theirs and fixed whatever concerns they had by 9 a.m. the first day. And when you haven't, then they send more emails and call you. Constantly.

Also, since I've had to be pulled into a meeting with three managers and the new co-worker, I've been a little more open about how "training" is going. I guess I was trying to be all patient and giving her the benefit of the doubt. She, however, was complaining to the managers about how I wasn't helping her. Vocal enough to warrant a surprise meeting. It was a surprise to me, alright! Wha? So, we set some guidelines; none of which she is currently following.

She's interesting, you know? And apparently still bad-mouthing me. So, I had a chat with one of the managers because I didn't know if I was going to need to talk to Human Resources (HR) before anything disciplinary happened on my end because of her complaints. Then I had a mini-meeting with only two of the managers. Yes, they know I'm trying. And we discussed tactics on how to get her to come to me instead of them. After this week, she's *finally* catching on about that. But, instead of ordering me to do her work on occasion, now she is sweetly asking if I could "help" her out, usually by completely doing everything for her. So, I "helped" her only one time, but she's supposed to do the work and then I check it. I'm not supposed to do her work FOR her. Sigh.

She believes she's set for life at the job. I still don't know how long she'll last. There's only so many constant mistakes you can make, even during training, that might lead to your dismissal. She hasn't learned that yet. Or to write things down. And then denies that she was ever taught something because she would have remembered...without writing it down. And I can never ever EVER tell her about this blog.

But enough about work! I'm off from work today so I can do super fun things. Which will start happening in a little over an hour. I'd better get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment