Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Change Was In The Wind

Mostly I don't like change. It's annoying and hardly ever something I would choose for myself. Unfortunately it's also inevitable. As I've gotten older I've discovered that some change is actually good for you and there are rare times that I look forward to it. But not in this case.

I have had the pleasure and privilege to work with a good friend. I wasn't sure how we'd get on in the boss/employee relationship, but I think we handled it rather well. My boss was one of my best friends. Don't get me wrong, this person is STILL one of my best friends, but they no longer manage me on a day-to-day basis.

I'm sad about it and a little heart-broken. I've been asked to write my friend emails because I'm still wanted in their life, too, but I think we're going to have to work at occasionally having lunch to catch up on each other's goings-on. So this change is more sad than annoying. My new boss is actually an old boss that I have worked with before, but I'm going to have to relearn their work style. However, I do not see us catching up on anything more than the "how was your weekend but I'm not actually asking for details" Monday morning question. My new boss is a nice person, though, and I am sure that we will get to that team feeling in the next couple of months.

I knew the change was coming. I was happy where I was and with the people who sat around me, so that was the first clue. And, really, as employee shuffling is something akin to an Olympic sport in my company, it's been nice to have a "stable" office for a few years. And the circumstance that prompted not moving us around has disappeared. And my boss's boss moved out of our office. And then our office changed locations. And then opportunities for promotion came up. I didn't get what I tried for, but my boss got what they interviewed for. So, our office is no longer the tight-knit group that it was. We're more spread out, even in our small office, and the "family" feel is disappearing with each person who leaves.

I will soldier on. Of course I will. Otherwise I will lose my job and I actually enjoy having food in the pantry and clothes on my back. I also find that indoor plumbing and artificial heating/cooling can have a positive affect on my mood at work. But if there was a way that my now old boss could take me with them to their new position, I'd grab that opportunity in a heartbeat! My only comfort, the thing that I'm holding onto, is that this change is necessary and will be a beneficial thing for both of us. How I hate growth and opportunities to mature when it messes up what I want.

Growing pains. That's what I'm feeling right now. The winds of change are dying down and the dust will settle soon. The present will be clear, but isn't the future forever foggy, no matter what you do? Well, then, here's to a future that I shape for myself, for those are the changes I usually look forward to. May we all choose to make the best of our situations, no matter the circumstance. I'll try if you will (and even if you don't).

No comments:

Post a Comment