Sunday, August 5, 2012

If you met Mr. Darcy in real life, what would you do?

There is a man of my acquaintance that I call Mr. Darcy. Not to his face, mind you, but in my head and to my friends so he can stay anonymous to them and to keep me from thinking about him in too personal a way. For those of you not familiar with Jane Austen's work or any of the myriad film adaptations of Pride & Prejudice, you must either live somewhere classic English literature isn't taught or you are a "doer" instead of someone who likes to sit on the couch and watch that scene in the Keira Knightley film version where Mr. Darcy is walking across the moor on a misty, moisty morning (if you get the nursery rhyme reference, then maybe your mother also recited archaic verses to you when you were young).

I love that version. Among several differences, Mr. and Mrs. Bennett actually love each other, which seems missing in the classic BBC/Colin Firth version. Colin Firth's version, though long, was the set standard for many a woman for a long time. Bridget Jones's Diary* and it's sequel not only used Pride & Prejudice as it's framework, but Colin Firth's portrayal was the inspiration for Bridget's Mr. Darcy-ish man. It's funny and appropriate that he played the character which was based on his own interpretation of a previous film role. 

Matthew Macfadyen's portrayal of Mr. Darcy in the 2007 film was more relatable. It makes sense that Mr. Darcy is awkward socially which is why he missteps so horribly during his first proposal. Yes, he's still proud, but has no idea how to speak to the woman he's grown to love who, unfortunately for him, based her opinion of him on their disastrous first meeting and the lies of a man she thought was honorable.

But back to "not my Mr. Darcy." He's definitely not mine, but he does fit the part: he seems to be shy and perhaps is rather uncomfortable in social situations, as well as being quite serious and learned. He stares at me, though. Honestly and truly, he does. He stares at me during church and I find it odd that no one else seems to really notice this fact. Maybe it has something to do with me not sitting in the same place twice. So others may perceive that he's looking in different areas each week, not putting together the puzzle that I'm in every area he tends to gaze at. I have waited to see if I'm Elizabeth Bennett to his Mr. Darcy, but no such casting has materialized. For all I know, I'm Charlotte, Mary, or Kitty to him. Well, not really to him, but in the script of his life...if he ever compared himself to a figure of classic literature.

Even if he is intrigued by me, I do not believe he will ever ask me out. I find this frustrating. Either he is interested and really shy or he is not interested and really creepy. Why does he stare? Is he trying to figure out if I dye my hair? Do I have bed head? Does my blouse clash with my skirt? And should I stare back and wink? Or do I just blush and quickly avert my gaze when I catch him looking at me -- which I had been doing, but now I do NOT look at him at all. I have made a point to strike up a conversation or five with him, but nothing has happened. So, what would you do if you met Mr. Darcy in real life? If it's all so frustrating, would you bother being patient? Mr. Darcy does turn out to be a wonderful man in the end of the book/movies, despite his flaws. But as a living, breathing human...?

Pardon me, but I have an uncontrollable urge to stick in a movie. At least someone's complicated romantical situation will be resolved in 129 minutes.

*Please note: I have not read the Bridget Jones books and have only seen edited versions of both films. If I'm inaccurate or incorrect, it's not surprising.

2 comments:

  1. You need to put up that "follow me on e-mail" tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing that out. Being new to all this, I'm currently open to input/advice/suggestions.

      Delete